13262538

Got an issue with the CSA. My eldest daughter finished

Customer Question

Hi got an issue with the CSA. My eldest daughter finished college june last year. I thought she was going to university and so did not inform csa that she was no longer in full time education. I did not realize that for maintenance purposes the csa do not recognized university as full time education and so will not recognized any maintenance payments that I make to me ex partner of my eldest child. My daughter has now turned 20 and the mother of my youngest daughter is now asking that her payments be re assessed which I have no problem with. I am though concerned that the csa will now backdate those payments to when my eldest daughter finished college. I therefore wanted to check my position legally on this matter.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Your child maintenance liability ended when your daughter finished college, unless she went onto approved education or approved training - a list of which is here: https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Sadly the news is not good.

Any payments that you have made in respect of your eldest daughter since September last year will be seen as voluntary.

That means that when the re-assessment for the younger child is made it can indeed be backdated to last October

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare thank you for your reply and although the answer is not what I had hoped for the legal position that you laid out helps me plan for the financial consequences of the outcome. By the way the other guys advices was crap.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome - I hope it resolves as well as possible