chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My mother was born in the UK in 1920 & I was born in New

Customer Question

My mother was born in the UK in 1920 & I was born in New Zealand in 1951. Am I eligible for a British passport be decent.........
many thanks
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

What nationality was your mother at the time of your birth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
British

You are eligible for British Nationality by Descent if you were born to a parent (a father or mother) who was born in the UK before 1 Jan 1983. In such situations, the relevant parent is considered as being British Other than by Descent, and can pass British Nationality to their children.

It gets more complicated if:

• your parents were not married at the time of your birth; OR
  • you (or a parent) were adopted.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,