Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have broke up with my wife after 21 years she left the

I have broke up with my wife after 21 years she left the family home to live with someone else I have lived in the flat now for 3 years on my own paying the rent council tax and all bills. The problem is her name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement and not mine how do I stand with changing this and can I I am 70 years old and would hate to lose my home
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. As you are married you have matrimonial home rights even if the tenancy is not in your name. This right lasts until divorce or court order excluding you from the property.

What kind of tenancy is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its housing associations she had it before we was married and lived there with her daughter till we got married in 1992
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. If it is a secure or assured tenancy, you can apply for it to be transferred to your sole name. This can be done either as a transfer of tenancy application under form D50B and a £155 court fee to your local family court. Or if you intend to pursue a divorce it can be done as a property adjustment order under Form A once the divorce petition has been issued. The fee for the divorce petition is £550 and the fee for a financial relief application is £255. At the same time, if appropriate you can apply for financial relief in the form of spousal maintenance or lump sum payments if there are assets.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.