Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband and I are at Decree Nisi stage, he vacated the

My husband and I are at Decree Nisi stage, he vacated the family home, (3 bed), over 2 years ago and has not contributed towards the mortgage or household costs since. We both earn a similar income and have an 11 year old daughter. He is insisting we sell the property now and split the proceeds 50/50. Will I have to sell now and give him half or can I remain in the house until our daughter finishes her education?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 40, he is 42
We were married for 13 years
I have a teachers pension, and he has 2 small private pensions
I earn £38,000, he earns about £30,000 but does private jobs, hes a bricklayer
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Are there any other assets, savings or investments?

How much is the home worth and how much mortgage is outstanding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have no savings, assets or investments. The house is worth £500.000 and our mortgage is £189, 000. Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. If you are able to maintain the home then there will be good argument for you and your child to remain in the property until she finishes education, after which it should be sold and proceeds divided between you and your husband.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you