13262538

My grandson lives with s father now because my daughter is

My grandson lives with his father now because my daughter is trying to sort herself out..I only found this out a week ago..The father of my grandson won't let me see him. We have a very volitile relationship..He hates me and although i am not rude to him,don't like him.He told my daughter i'm never going to see my grandson again,unless my daughter picks him up and brings him to see me..My daughter now lives in Scotland.My grandson lives about 25mins drive from me.. I am heart broken...What are my rights regarding this?I haven't got alot of money so i don't want this to be a lenghty court battle...All i want to do is be in my grandsons life..
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is your grandson and how often did you see him before the move?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is 3..4 in Sept..I use to see him at least 3 times a week...I use to pick him up from playschool twice a week
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello,are you there?
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

How often does the child see his mother?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Since April only on the phone..Facetime...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5 out of 7 days she gets to do this.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry you keep going away...are you still there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Claire..Im getting a bit worried now because i havent heard nothing from you in a while...Do i need to do anything else or have i just got to wait for you to reply...They have taken my money..Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My apologies - I am having computer issues.

May I ask why your daughter felt she shoudl do this (it is important)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To answer your question about why my daughter felt she should do this.....All she told me after weeks of lying to me,she is suffering from mental health issues and she felt she couldnt give the love and support my grandson needed..So she went to a solicitor with the father to sign a paper stating the father has my grandson living with him for a year so that my daughter could sort herself out...After that,she could have him living with her in Scotland...
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

I see

I have to be honest - it is going to be difficult for her to het the child back after a year - no court would order it.

The problem that you face is that grandparents have no automatic right to contact - indeed they need to ask the court for permission to even apply for an Order.

However the courts will look at the interests of the child - and the need to continue any strong relationships that he has developed.

Clearly you and he have had a strong relationship in the past and accordingly I would expect the Court to grant you an Order for Contact - especially as he is not having face to face contact with his mother.

You would need to be aware that it will not be as much contact as before - but that does not mean that it is not worth the effort.

Your starting point is to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting with a local Family Mediator - this is compulsory.

If mediation is not successful you can then apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out the time the child will spend with you.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do i set up a mediation information and assessment meeting?When he won't even answer my calls>
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

You contact the Family Mediator and attend the MIAM - the mediator will write to him

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years