How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2725
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am going through a break up with my partner. We have lived

Resolved Question:

I am going through a break up with my partner. We have lived together for 15 years. 9 of which in rented accommodation provided by me and 6 in a house purchased by my partner. To enable him to buy the house, I paid bills solely for 2 years and continue to pay all the bills in the house. My partner did not put my name on the house, so it is his. We have 3 children 2 of which he is the biological father for and the eldest he has helped raise over the last 15 years.
Am I entitled to any part of house, even though it is in his name only?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were tou married to each other?

-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust in place?

-Was there domestic abuse, if so what and when was the most recent incident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloWe are not married.The deeds to the property are in his name and we didn't have a written agreement In regards ***** ***** even though they are all in my name.There have been a few occasions of physical abuse, but there is more mental and financial abuse present.Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, you do not have any automatic rights to the property as you have no legal interest. In relation to your contributions, these do not raise an interest in the property unless you can prove that there was an intention that it would.

Despite not having a legal interest in the property, if you are not able to provide adequate housing for his children then you are entitled to apply to court under the Children Act for him to provide financial support or property to assist you in housing them. Furthermore, as the children are in your main care you are entitled to apply for child maintenance which is calculated based on his gross income, how many nights on average the children stay over with him and how many other children he has in his care - if you can confirm these details I can provide the amount he would legally be liable to pay.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions