Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been divorced now years and I as the respondent was

I have been divorced now for 3 years and I as the respondent was the one to move out of the family home where my ex-wife and my 6 year old son currently still reside. At the time, she instigated the divorce proceedings with legal representation while I couldn't afford to hire a solicitor to defend my interests. Because of this I was held to a 2 day/week agreement to see my son and no settlements were reached regarding our mortgage. I have been in rented accomodation for the past 4 years and now want to get a mortgage with my new partner but I am still held to account with my ex-wifes mortgage. In January of this year we pursued a transfer of equity option given from the mortgage company but my ex-wife has been obstinate and resistive throughout (ie slow to send application in) and I am lead to believe that once in the hands of of the mortgage company there will be a further inherent delay from the mortgage company. Is there any course of action that can be deployed to expedite this process?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Has there been a formal settlement that has been approved by the court?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Essentially she has stated that she will send forms and fees in "when she feels like it". I have offered to loan her the money but this was met with profanity. No consent order has been drawn up and i do not wish any financial gain from the property. Is there any way to 'make' her complete the process asap due to my rental contract coming to an end
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, you cannot force her to come to an agreement and this must be voluntary by her - hence financial agreements outside of court's being called "consent orders" as they are agreed between parties. If her agreement to settle is not forthcoming your only option would be to pursue a court application under Form A and a £255 court fee for financial relief. This will set a strict timeframe to comply with disclosure and directions and settlements are encouraged at every stage. It may therefore be helpful to explain that this will be your only option and would substantially increase legal costs - this may assist in her reconsidering her position, especially as you are not seeking to obtain any financial gain from the property.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters