F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am divorcing and i cannot afford a solicitor i am not

Customer Question

hi i am divorcing and i cannot afford a solicitor i am not eligible for legal aid. is there anyway i can get legal help. my case is complex
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Legal aid for divorce has not been available for some years now unless there are allegations of domestic violence or child abduction. Is either of those scenarios applicable here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no they are not
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Up until early 2013 people with low income could get legal aid for all sorts of family disputes including divorce, children issues, financial issues care proceedings and of course domestic abuse, abduction. However since then, legal aid is only available for a variety of different marital matters if there has been domestic violence. Hence, as there is no allegation that, you would not qualify.

Similarly, if there is a history or risk of a child being abducted outside the UK, legal aid may be available.

The other categories are forced marriage, local authority child protection matters. One estimate is that only 20% of people who were formerly eligible for Legal Aid would now be eligible.

Other than that, you are faced with paying the legal costs yourself which can be difficult if you are on limited income.

Not one has to use a solicitor by asking questions on here and some research on the Internet you can do a very credible do it yourself. Here is a government website which is a relatively simple do-it-yourself guide to divorce. https://www.gov.uk/divorce/overview

it contains all the forms and the fees that you need to start the process.

Can I clarify anything for you? Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES