Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Married than 5 years. He is working with a pension. I am not

Married for less than 5 years. He is working with a pension. I am not currently working and have just finished a degree.
I have a child from a previous relationship whom he did not adopt.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please would you elaborate more on what information you are seeking so I can an assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I claim any of his pension
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Just a bit more information required:

-How old are you both?

-How much is his pension worth and how much was accumulated during the marriage?

-Do you have a pension, if so what is it worth?

-What are your job and income prospects?

-What other assets do you both have, together with values?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 46, he's 41
He hasn't paid in to a pension for a few years but started one recently.
I saw some paperwork that said the monthly contribution was £436 but I'm not sure if this is employer or his own contribution
I have a small pension frozen from 6 years ago when I was working part time plus another which I paid into for about 6 years when I was working full time.
I can get figures for my pension but can't tell you much about his other than who they were with.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Pension sharing will be difficult given that you are both relatively young and the marriage may be considered short, especially as you do not have children together. Furthermore, as you appear to have capacity to accumulate your own pension, and approximately 20 years before usual retirement age, a court will unlikely agree that pension sharing is appropriate in your circumstances. In any event he will have good argument to exclude pension accumulated prior to the marriage, given the short marriage and your ages.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you