Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been married to my boyfriend of 6 years, only 3 weeks

Hello. I have been married to my boyfriend of 6 years, only 3 weeks ago. I have British citizenship and he is American. During my honeymoon I found out he was in touch with his mistress. I would like to annul the marriage. Do you think is possible? We don't have kids.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The only grounds to annul a marriage are:
-it wasn’t consummated - you haven’t had sex with the person you -married since the wedding
-you didn’t properly consent to the marriage - eg you were drunk or forced into it
-the other person had a sexually transmitted disease when you got married
Do any of the above grounds qualify? If not, unfortunately you will not be able to apply for annulment. In that case you would need to wait until a year after date of marriage and you can petition for divorce under unreasonable behaviour.
I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you