13262538

My brother and s wife live with my mother, I have recently

Customer Question

My brother and his wife live with my mother, I have recently just found out that my sister in-law does not contribute to any of the bills, the reason for this is my brother told my mum they come as one, I am not sure how to approach this as they have been living there now for 14yrs.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old is your mother and what are her feelings about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 87 and I feel it is very wrong what he has been doing, she has three children two daughters and a son, and we all had to pay board when we were at home, his wife should not come free.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Does your mother still have mental capacity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If your mother still has mental capacity then sadly there is a limit to the actions that you can take other than to have a heart to heart with your brother about his behaviour.

The other alternative is to discuss matters with your mother first, prepare a budget based on the bills and then arrange a discussion between all three of you

I am sorry I know that this is not what you wished to hear but sadly it is the position that you are in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** not a strong woman at the moment and he can be a bit of a bully.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Then take her out for the day, talk to her about it and help her do a budget - then ask if she wants you to deal with it for her

Better still talk to her about giving you Power of Attorney so that you have the power to deal with it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You I will.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well