Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

After 20+ years together (married .5 years) my husband has

Customer Question

after 20+ years together (married for 3.5 years) my husband has walked out last Friday, we have 3 boys who are 19 (at UNI) 14 and 5 years old we are also both directors of a cleaning business he now does all the physical work for it as we planned before he left for me to study AAT and work full time whilst continuing on as company director and doing the payroll and accounts for the business. The business have very little turnover at the minute and he has said he wants me to sign over all control (whilst staying as director or not) to him and me not have access to any financial information and not do anything in the business. He wants to have access to the boys as and when he wants and has already sort advice and been told he has 50 50 rights and can see them whenever he likes. I want to get our 2 younger children settled in a new routine and to make them feel as secure as possible. It has been on me to try explain why their dad has left and comfort them whilst trying to keep getting them to and from school.
I am not yet working and have no source of income until I can work and sort childcare etc.
Where do I stand and how do I move forward from here legally
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first (and am just off to court so will pick this up this afternoon)

How much are the capital assets worth and what income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is taking a wage from the business of £12,000 a year I agreed not to take a wage as of Christmas last year as the business has slowed down a lot, he has bigger jobs in the pipeline but since he left he don't think I should know about them or benefit from any income from them. He wants to give me a small amount of money to cover the boys costs and bills.
we have a house with a small amount of equity of aprox £5 to 10 k after the remaining mortgage and secured debt is paid which I am living in, but this is in his name only.
we have a lot of outstanding debt which is mounting up and I have no way as yet of paying the dad to day bills even before the outstanding bills.
I have informed our youngest sons school and asked for his name to be removed from the collection list (if very rarely collected him anyway) I don't trust what he could do, eg collect him from school and make a scene and upset youngest son.
He has said if I still want acess to the business he will put any future work in a sole trader business
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does have a small amount of cash income to.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Did the business give any other income at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Where does the cash income come from?

What benefits have you applied for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cash income was from customers paying for window cleaning (aprox £8 per house) in physical cash at the tie of cleaning
We are claiming tax credits based on his income of £12k that was £104 per week but as he is now not here that will stop
e also get 138 every 4 weeks in child benefit