13262538

Married 16 years. One daughter aged 10. House in my name

Customer Question

Married 16 years. One daughter aged 10. House in my name only. I pay the mortgage. Wife not worked since daughter was born. If I divorce and transfer the house to her, does that mean that she is responsible for the mortgage payments going forwards ? 18 years left on mortgage.
Jay
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

If there is a settlement which means that your wife remains in the property then she will indeed have to pay the ongoing mortgage from all her income sources - which will include child maintenance form you and MAY also include Spouse maintenance

if you would like more details then i will need to know how much the property is worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage and what income you each have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Property worth £450,000, £270,000 outstanding. My wife receives £82 Child Benefit per month. I receive a salary of £52,000 plus £4000 bonus.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much would a cheaper two bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;400,000
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What earning capacity does your wife have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wife not working, she however receives £82 child benefit per month.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

But what oculd she earn if she returned to work?