Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I was married to my husband years and he had an affair. We

I was married to my husband for 19 years and he had an affair. We got divorced. After 11 years we got back together and have been remarried for 3 years. I paid off the remaining mortgage but it is in his name. I have found out he is again having an affair. What are my legal rights, what am I entitled to? We are noiw both retired and on pensions. I only get my state pension. He gets a private pension and his state pension.
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Despite the property being in his sole name you have matrimonial home rights which entitle you to continue occupying the property until divorce. This can be registered on the title of the property using form HR1 with the Land Registry/

During that time it may be best for you to consider coming to a financial settlement with him - this will consider all of your assets and his assets, as well as income and reasonable needs.

You will both need to provide each other with full and frank financial and income disclosure, as well as disclosure of your reasonable needs. The Court's starting point is a 50-50 split of all matrimonial assets and ensuring that both your needs are met in relation to both assets and income. The criteria considered is:

1. The income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including in the case of earning capacity any increase in that capacity which it would in the opinion of the court be reasonable to expect a party to the marriage to take steps to acquire;
2. The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
3. The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;
4. The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;
5. Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage;
6. The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;
7. The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be inequitable to disregard it;
8. In the case of proceedings for divorce or nullity of marriage, the value to each of the parties to the marriage of any benefit which, by reason of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage, that party will lose the chance of acquiring.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters