Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband has just inherited the house we are leaving in

My husband has just inherited the house we are leaving in now and I am not on the deed, how can I protect my self for the future ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Despite the inheritance, if it is the matrimonial home then you have matrimonial home rights by virtue of the marriage. This can be registered with the Land Registry using form HR1 and your interest will be registered on the title. Your husband will be given notice of this registration.

Furthermore, in the event of a divorce, the home will be considered as part of the matrimonial assets as it is being using as the family home.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advise.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris