Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter is due to go to university years in September

Customer Question

My daughter is due to go to university for 3 years in September and is 18 years old. She will be 19 years old in October. Her father said he is going to stop paying me child maintenance when she goes and has refused to help me with any university costs whilst she is there. Can he do this?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately his legal child maintenance liability to you for the benefit of your daughter expires when your daughter goes to university.

However, if you daughter is unable to maintain herself in university she is able to pursue a court application under the Children Act for maintenance to be paid directly to her to support herself.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.