Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I split up with my partner 6 months ago following years or

Customer Question

I split up with my partner 6 months ago following years or mental torture & him cheating constantly. He is also a drug addict & has physically assaulted me in the past. We were never marriage or have any children.
All of the above led me to having a breakdown which im currently having treatment for.
I currently own the house i live in & a buy to let property. Both of the properties are in my name and i have always paid the mortgage/bills etc.
He has gone to a solicitor who have wrote to me saying they are going to apply to the Land Registry to register his interest in the two houses and he wants me to attend mediation.
Can he do this? How can he register an interest when the houses are not his. I need to sell the house im living in as its too big form me to cope with. Will it stop me selling it?
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Were there any deeds of trust, formal agreements or intentions that any contributions he made would raise a share of the properties?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No nothing of that sort.
The properties were always mine, i paid all the bills and mortgages.
The only thing that he contributed was £500 per month for keep.
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. As you are not married, there are no formal agreements and the properties are in your sole name he is not legally entitled to any of your property. However, he is able to proceed to court to obtain a share of property if he is able to prove that there was an intention that his £500 was intended to create a share of the property. It will be an uphill struggle for him to do this if there are no records of agreements.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is he able to register an interest on the land registry as stated in the letter? Will this stop the sale of my house?
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

He should not be able to register the charge on your property unless there is a court order. Depending on what the charge is for it may delay or prevent you selling the property.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank You.
So should i just ignore the letter i have received requesting mediation, it also states they are applying to the land registry to register an interest in my houses.
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

It would be helpful to find out under what grounds he thinks he has an interest however, he should not be able to register a charge or restriction on the title without a court order or reasonable cause.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Again, I have now received an email alert from the land registry that his solicitor has "The activity details are:- Application lodged by.................".
I have just checked my title on the LR & I can see nothing to indicate he has registered an interest.
Any idea what is going on & what my next steps should be?
Many Thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 6 months ago.

Thanks - you have stated that the alert states the application is lodged therefore the Land Registry will process the application that has been submitted, which is likely a caution on the title.