Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I was married to my husband, we had 4 children all adults

I was married to my husband for 31yrs, we had 4 children all adults now, i only worked part time when they were young. we did have our own house but he has been declared bankrupt twice, we were given a 3 bedroomed council house where we lived until he manupulated me out of the home after leaving me with a debt for £8,000 for a loan he made me take out in my name for a car which he sold! I went to a solicito who made him pay up in full and that was resolved. Now it's been nearly 6 yrs we've been separated, i have no financial security and I couldn't really work when the children were young. I went to university and am now a Registered nurse working full time but would i have any entitlement to any of his pension as he about to send me some divorce papers?
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-How old are you both?
-What assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 53yrs old and my husband is 58 yrs old. I have no assets and no savings but have an NHS pension and I paid into a pension when I worked at a private hospital for 8yrs. He has a house in France.He has money in a spanish bank, I earn £28,000 per year. I'm not sure how much he earns he works for a car dealer company but it could be £28,000 or more. We have no joint accounts or savings. I currently live with my partner but if we were to split up or if something should happen to him i would be homeless. He lives with his fiancee in a housing association 2 bedroom flat.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that is my x husband lives with his fiancee not my partner!
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Just a bit more information:

-How much is your pension pot in total?

-Does he have a pension, if so what is the value?

Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i don't know how much my pension pot is? I've only just re-joined the NHS pension scheme as I had a 10yr gap working in a private hosptial.I have no idea what pension my husband has?
Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. On divorce, you will need to consider coming to a financial settlement so that there can be a clean break between you as even after divorce you are at risk of him pursuing a financial relief application against you which can only end by a court approved settlement or upon his remarriage.

Specifically in relation to the pensions, you will both need to exchange full and frank financial disclosure, which will include the pension values - your providers have to provide this to you upon request. If the pensions are vastly different and you are unable to maintain yourself upon retirement, you can apply to court to share his pension and a court will likely agree that equalisation of pensions would be appropriate given your ages and the length of the marriage.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 7 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters