Looking to get child access to my son, 't know where to

Customer Question

Looking to get child access to my son, don't know where to start. Sent a letter to the mother, she called my mums house for my mobile number which my mum refused to give her. She left her mobile number, I text her from a private source saying all communication was to be written & left my email address. She's sent an email saying she'll await a letter from my solicitor and that she's been advised to see a solicitor too. Where do I go from here? What are the costs going to be? There was no alcohol or drug issues, no domestic violence and my name is ***** ***** birth certificate. Thanks in advance
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why would you not give her your mobile number?

How old is your child and when did you last see him?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I spoke to the citizens advice and they said to keep all correspondence written so I have proof because in the past we have had verbal agreements regarding access that she has backed out on.The child is 6 years old and I have not seen him in over 4 years. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

That was unfortunate advice in terms of setting up arrangements.

However the starting point is to arrange to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a Family Mediator

to try and set up a discussion with your ex to arrange for contact to start at a local Contact Centre

If she refuses then you will have to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think she will be happy with family mediation, she's wanting to go straight down the legal route. Could you advise on how I begin to get a child arrangement order, what the timescale roughly on this would be and what average costs are for this? Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

You will have to go to the Mediation appointment first

They will give you the form you need to move forward

The court fee is £215

It will take between three and six months to complete the process

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm in Scotland, is the court fee the same? Do I need a solicitor to represent me in a court case and how much will this cost me if so? I'm already paying child maintenance.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've also tried the mediation link above and that only covers England & Wales, is there a separate service for Scotland? Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Here you are !

The Cpurt fee is in fact lower - but I cannot find the latest list !

You do not need a solicitor unless you prefer to use one