Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am currently going through a divorce (uncontested) and I

I am currently going through a divorce (uncontested) and I am named on the mortgage. My question is am I able to buy a property outright (no mortgage) whilst still being named on the mortgage mentioned previously?
Thanks *****
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Yes that is possible, however you should be aware that if no financial settlement has already been reached then your new property will need to be considered as part of negotiations.

I hope this assists. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the response. We are not contesting any finances. It is only the house, which my spouse has been paying the mortgage since we split up. We have decided that the house is hers. I expect no money from a sale, if that is how she proceeds, and as I mentioned I am not contributing to the mortgage. We have done nothing from a legal stand point however. Is this what you referred to as 'financial settlement'?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

No worries. As you are married, you should be aware that divorce does not end the right for either of you to make a financial relief application against the other. This right to claim only on the potential applicant remarrying or a court order settling the finances. You should therefore consider undertaking some negotiations to come to an agreement regarding finances which can be reflected in a court order, especially as you are intending on buying a mortgage-free property.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The court order itself, how would I go about organising it?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

It would be best to instruct a local family law solicitor to prepare this if agreement has been reached and it is called a consent order. It specifies the agreement and discharges each of your rights to claim against the other in the future. Alongside the consent order you will both need to complete a D81 form which is a simple disclosure of your financial positions as the court will need to ensure that the settlement is fair for both parties before approving it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe that during the divorce application process I have filed out a d81 form. Is this standard practice?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

No, unless it has been accompanied by a consent order then the court will not deal with the D81 by itself

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.