Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a £1000 maintenance order against me in conjunction

I have a £1000 maintenance for life order against me in conjunction with my divorce to my wife in 2012. However my pension/ income finishes at age 60 years , and then I do not know how I will pay her.
If I go to court at age 60 and get the maintenance for life scrapped , can she take any the assets which were shared at the time of divorce
kind regards .
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. I would imagine that the financial settlement dealt with the capital assets and these cannot be subject to variation.

In relation to the spousal maintenance, this can be varied due to your change of circumstances. You will need to apply to court using Form A and a £255 court fee to your family court. There will be further proceedings whereby your financial circumstance will be assessed and the court will decide whether the spousal maintenance should end or be varied.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.