Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I rent a property in my sole name. My partner lives with me

Customer Question

I rent a property in my sole name. My partner lives with me & our relationship is over but he wont leave, where do I stand?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you married?

-Are there any formal agreements?

-Do you have any children together, if so how old and what are the proposed arrangements for them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we aren't married
No formal agreements
My children live here but we have none together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is abusive & nasty & it's upsetting us all. He has money he won't be homeless.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

What abuse has happened and how old are your children? Have they witnessed the abuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its verbal abuse when he is drunk which is quite often lately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
children are 10 & 14
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Firstly, as you are not married and his name is ***** ***** the tenancy he has no right to remain in the property and he must leave upon reasonable notice. If he does not leave then you can call the police as he will be considered a trespasser.

Furthermore, if he continues to abuse you or if he returns to the property, you can consider applying to court for a non-molestation order (which is an injunction) using form FL401 to your local family court.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks for confirming my position, to get the answers so quickly without having to make appointments etc at a time like this is invaluable.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris