Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Myself and my sons father split in 2014, there is currently

Good afternoon,
Myself and my sons father split in 2014, there is currently a court order in place to specify when my son sees his father. I have had a letter from my ex partners parents solicitor as they want to spend more time with my son on their own, although the see him when he is with his dad. Do i have to oblige to this request?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, is there a minimum amount of time a grandparent has to see their grandchildren per week by law?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-How old are the children?

-What are the terms of the court order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in England, my son is 3. The court order specifies he stays with his dad 6 nights per month, there is no mention of grandparents in the court order.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Grandparents do not have an automatic right to contact with their grandchildren, however, your son has a right to a relationship with his extended family. There is no minimum amount of time a grandparent has to see their grandchildren by law and this is dependant on the child's needs, contact with their parents and their wider day to day arrangements.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you