Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My grandson aged 13 has been staying with us since s mother

my grandson aged 13 has been staying with us since his mother told him to get out their relationship has been strained for sometime, some of the things he has told us are quite disturbing, he is due to go home tomorrow but insists he will just run run away because he does not want to go home what do we need to do to allow him to stay with us for the short term and if necessary for a longer period.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Firstly you need to see whether the mother will agree to a continued placement with you and if she does not I would suggest that you make an urgent application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for leave to apply (as you do not have parental responsibility) and simultaneously for a child arrangement order for residence and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. Given the risk of absconding you can attend court in person and ask for an urgent without notice hearing and go before a judge the same day. vFor your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you