How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can my wife keep a house she inherited from her grandmother

Resolved Question:

Can my wife keep a house she inherited from her grandmother all for herself and still demand half of the marital home. It is 17 year childless marriage
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-How old are you both?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?
-What is the value of the property, and what is the outstanding mortgage?
-Who is now living in the property?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joint mortgage with equity of £139k
Wife's inherited house no mortgage
Income of £450 month
Husbands income £28k
Wife's income35k
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Husband living in marital home- wife no longer paying mortgage
Pension on both sides negligible
No life assurance
Wife keeps all rental income from inherited house
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

What is the value of the inherited home?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I cannot take a phone call at the moment, but if you are able to provide the information requested I can continue to assist you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you