13262538

My mother has dementia and has gradually got worse over the

My mother has dementia and has gradually got worse over the last few years. We have carried on paying her bills for her and making sure she has everything she needs. She has a few thousand pounds in savings and we have been using this money to pay for everything using her bank debit card or cheques. When she was alert (after her husband died) she relied on us to help her and pay her bills. The problem is we didn't think to get power of attorney when she was in her right mind but she has declined rapidly which means she is unable to do anything for herself including even signing her own name.
My first question is will we now be able to get power of attorney? My second question - I'm not sure where we stand in the meantime (without power of attorney) when she still has bills to pay and the only way that can happen is if we do it for her. By 'we' I mean me, my brother and sister.
I would be grateful for your advise as this has now become a big worry for us.
Jackie Gabb
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

If your mother no longer has mental capacity (you should ask her Consultant) then you need to apply to be appointed as her Deputy

https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy/overview

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** like the way forward. Do I need to get a letter from her consultant or doctor confirming her illness before completing the deputy form?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

One of the forms is a Medical report which has to be completed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've looked at the form and I need to get an OPG Case number? Do you know have I obtain this?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You get that after you send all the completed forms off!