Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a residency order which states that my daughter lives

hi I have a residency order which states that my daughter lives with me. Her father does have PR, we can not decide on a school together and I would like my daughter to attend the same school as her big sister. He is against this, because he has PR does he get to make the final decision?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. As he has PR he has a right to be consulted and involved in this decision but his PR does not trump yours. In the circumstances that you cannot agree that she attends the same school as her sister (which is a reasonable proposal), I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a specific issue order (to decide a school) and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you