Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My sister (who has two children) has a formal will made out

My sister (who has two children) has a formal will made out while she was married but in in her married surname. Since then she has divorced and has gone back to her single surname. The will leaves everything to the two children. Question is the will still valid if she is no longer using her married surname ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Given that they have now divorced she should make efforts to update and amend the will. The will is still valid, however, any clauses in relation to her husband will not be valid and it will be treated as though he was dead.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.