Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son as just turned 17yrs old and my husband would like to

My son as just turned 17yrs old and my husband would like to adopt my son. I would like to know please because my ex husband as not had contact with my son for 13years but does pay maintenance through C.S.A under a detachment of earnings. Could my husband adopt my son without his permission? Also I have know idea where my ex husband is living.
Jane Elliott
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If he applies to adopt your son then your ex-husband has the right to contest this and you should be aware that the application must be submitted before he is 18 years old. Furthermore, if adoption is granted then your ex-husband will lose his parental responsibility and will no longer be liable for child maintenance.

In relation to locating your ex-husband there must be attempts made to find him and a tracing agent can assist in this.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

You are running short of time and need to act quickly

The starting point is to make contact with the Adoption Section of your Local Children's Services without delay - they can trace your ex through the DWP you do not need to use a tracing agent

You can read more about the process here

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/step-parent-adoption-nov2011.pdf

most councils have much the same approach