Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My mother and father own the deed to our house, 50% each,

My mother and father own the deed to our house, 50% each, but my father wants to sign his 50% to me, his 21 year old son, what do we need to do?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. This would be transfer of share from him to you and can be done using the process outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property

You will also need to consider whether you wish to hold the property as joint tenants or tenants in common with your mother. Joint tenants cannot pass on their share to other people as inheritance and it automatically transfers to the other joint tenant upon death, whereas tenants in common can pass on their share in a will or under intestacy rules.

Given the potential legal complexities it would be best if you instruct a local conveyancing solicitor to deal with this to ensure that it is done correctly.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.