Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have offered the father of my 2 children full access to

I have offered the father of my 2 children full access to the children on weekends he is not happy with this and wants 2 hours on a Wednesday and Thursday I feel this would interrupt there schooling and routine and is not appropriate were do i stand with this if I don't allow the Wednesday and Thursday but I am offering weekends
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-Are there any court orders in place, if so what?

-What have the arrangements been to date?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi they are 4 and 8 and there are no arrangements in place as of yet he hasn't seen them in over a week and there is no court orders
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

What were the arrangements previously and for how long were they in place?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not stopping him seeing me them I am offering weekends as access as i work full time Monday to Friday
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We only split up last Monday he has not made contact since he as just opposed he will see them after school for a few hours on a Wednesday and Thursday
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi is this conversation still going you have taken a payment of £36 and ok not getting any more responses from you
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. Firstly, the children have a right to a relationship with both parents which can only be reasonably restricted if it is in their best interests. Depending on their routines contact can be arranged around those however, it is not uncommon for non-resident parents to have arrangements to see the children from after-school for a few hours on the weekdays as well as weekly or fortnightly contact on the weekends.

Given your circumstances, I would suggest that you put your proposals to him in writing explaining why your proposals are in the best interests of the children and if he does not agree then it would be for him to pursue the legal process of having a child arrangement order to see the children.

If matters cannot be settled by direct negotiations with him, you can consider making a referral to an independent local family mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just clarify if I put a stop to the Wednesday Thursday but I am offering weekends can I be in trouble for this
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

No, if you are acting in the interests of the children and because there are no court orders you are not breaching anything and his only remedy would be to apply to court for a formal arrangement.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Customer: replied 10 months ago.