ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have been asked to leave the family home, after being

Customer Question

I have been asked to leave the family home, after being unfaithful, we have been married for just over three years, we have been together for nearly five years and the house is in my wife's name, I have over the past four years put over £70k in fixing the house, and now don't know where I stand. I have also being paying the mortgage for the past four and a half years also when I moved in I brought in large items from my single life, and have now moved into my place of work which has accommodation.( I work at a university)
what can I do?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- do you have any minor children?

- is divorce contemplated?

- when was the house purchased?

- what are the other matrimonial assets including pensions?

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please find answers to your questions below- do you have any minor children? no children we are both in our 50's (my wife is 54 I am 52)- is divorce contemplated? not sure but I think I have to say yes- when was the house purchased? the house was purchased by my wife 26 years ago- what are the other matrimonial assets including pensions? we both have pensions with educational backgroundsregards martin
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is still 6 years of her mortgage left

Dear Martin

Thank you for your response.

As you are married - should divorce proceedings commence then either yourself or your wife are able to make a claim in respect of the matrimonial finances.

There is a set process to dealing with the matrimonial finances.

The first step is full and frank disclosure of all matrimonial assets - this includes the assets and liabilities for both of you - which includes the house.

Once full disclosure has taken place - then discussions can take place in respect of division.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want to force her to sell the house, I have been told I can register a charge on the house, also would I be entitled to remove my items?
thanks youregards Martin

The starting point for a lengthy marriage - over 5 years - is equality - that being equal.

Whilst I note that you have not been married for this period - courts can take into the length of a relationship beforehand.

ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings

I will be able to call in 10 minutes

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thankyou

Dear Martin

It was nice to speak with you.

I am very sorry to hear about how things are at the moment. I do hope that you are able find resolution.

As discussed - here is the link for the the Matrimonial Homes Rights Notice:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/490269/HR1.pdf

Once complete - send the form to you local land registry so that they may update the register for you.

This is the telephone number for the Land Registry so that they can tell you which office to send the form too:

0300(###) ###-####/p>

This type of application is normally dealt with by the land registry very quickly and they d not have a charge for this service.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Caroline, for your time last night, one last question.re my items in the house, which I can prove are mine and mine alone, I recall you said I should contact the police to be present, but did not take a note under what and why.thank-you once againkind regards Martin

Hello Martin

My apologies for my delay in responding to you.

It is often wise to ask the police to attend with you - if they are able - so as to ensure that your wife does not later allege that you have taken other items. It is not necessary.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards

Caroline