Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm separated from my wife, I pay support sons who are now

I'm separated from my wife, I pay support for my sons who are now 18, both are still studying A levels at school. I will always support them but as one is also earning money but the other one isn't what can I do. I want to directly support them but my ex wants the money to go directly to her. I'd suggest lessening the amount.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Has there been a child maintenance calculation by the CSA/CMS?

-If so, how much is your liability and has your gross income changed since then?

-How much is yoir gross income?

-How many nights a week on average do they stay with you?

-Do you have any other children in your care, if so how many?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a voluntary agreement no court orders or Csa. The boys stay with when they feel like they are quite independent and as I say they are now 18. I currently pay £420 per month for both. My annual income is flexible depending on overtime but a flat month is £2,400 per month. I have a mortgage with the usual bills associated. I have no other children in my care.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

-What have the arrangements been on average in the past year (eg. 1 night per week, 2-3 nights per week)?

-Whst was your gross taxable salary for 2015-16?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On average is say one night week each. And £52k.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Based on a gross income of £52k per year and your children staying overnight with you 1-2nights per week, your legal liability for child maintnenace is £130 per week, or £563 per calendar month. Your current payments are lower than this and whilst the children are in A-Levels the payments would unfortunately be expected to go to her. In the event that you stop making payments she can apply to the CMS who will assess your circumstances at the time and it is a possibility that they will find your liability to be more than what you are currently paying.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. I'll carry on with what I'm doing.