Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex wife is moving in with her new partner and is putting

My ex wife is moving in with her new partner and is putting the family home on the rental market I pay her £200 every 28 days as child maintenance do i still have to continue paying this amount
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Child maintenance is the legal obligation of the non-resident parent and does not depend on the financial circumstances of the main carer. To confirm whether you are paying the correct amount, please confirm:

-How was the £200 contribution reached? By a CSA calculation or in a court order as part of the divorce? If a court order, was it made by consent and when?

-How many children are there and how old are they?

-What is your gross taxable income each year?

-How many nights, on average, do the children stay overnight with you each week?

-Are there any other children in your main care, if so how many?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Contribution was calculated at 180 I put it up by 20 this yearTwo children aged 16 & 1214.500 est per yearWas once a fortnight they stayed at weekends but once my eldest turned 16 they decided not to but on return I can see them every Saturday if they wanted toI have a 17 year old step daughter who is in education
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. On the basis that your gross income is £14,500 per year, two children who stay with you (on average) less than once a week and one child in your household, you would be liable for £40 per week child maintenance or £174 per calendar month.

If there is no formal child maintenance calculation or court order in place, then you should propose to reduce your liability to this amount.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.