Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have split from my fiancee. we have lived together years

I have split from my fiancee. we have lived together for 3 years and owned a house jointly for 2.
What legal entitlements do we have to each other's incomes and pensions after this period of time?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Please confirm if you have any children together , if so how old and what are the proposed arrangements foe them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are no children from this partnership.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, unless you are married you have no right to claim financial relief from the other - an engagement or agreement to marry does not raise such a right.

In relation to the property, legally you are both only entitled to the share that you hold on the title - so any equity is to be split in accordance with how the title is held, except if there is a deed of trust, formal agreement or intention that either would obtain a greater share.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already know about the house. I was not advised properly when I bought the property so did not protect the £100k I put in as the deposit. So I lost 50%.
I cannot even take the solicitor to task apparently for not advising me.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming . If you are able to prove intention that yoi would be compensated for your substantial deposit contribution, a court application can be pursued using form N1 and a £355 court fee to your local family court . Initially you should put the proposal formally in writing to your ex-partner with a deadline to agree.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already had a barrister advise me that i have no case as i signed the form saying that we would own the house as joint tenants.
I was not advised by the conveyancing solicitor that i could and should have protected my investment.
I had a verbal agreement with my X, but nothing in writing and it would appear that i have nowhere to go with action based on past cases.
I do not appear to have any comeback on the solicitor for not advising me properly either.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

The only thing I can suggest is to go back through the advice letters from the solicitor and in the event that there is nothing in the advice dealing with this then you would have grounds to pursue a complaint against the firm, initially using their internal complaints procedure which must be provided to you and if you remain unsatisfied through the Legal Ombudsman.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I will persue this.
Insppreciate your help in this matter.
YoursRichard