ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

Am looking re: divorce. My husband s very violent and

Customer Question

Hello, am looking for advice re: divorce. My husband s very violent and abusive. We have been married for nearly four years. We live in a house that I bought prior to the marriage and I have made all the mortgage payments since we have been together. I have recently retired so do not have much disposable income after mortgage and bills. I also have a pension. s my husband entitled to half of everything or give that the property is n my name and I can prove making all the mortgage payments, wll I be able to keep t?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: What details would be helpful?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- are there any other assets - does you husband have any?

- what are your respective yearly incomes?

- was there any pre-nuptial agreement?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only assets are the house and my pension. Neither has any savings.
I have a pension of £14500, my husband earns aprox 600
-700 per month
There's no pre-nuptial agreement

Thank you for your response.

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties you have had with your husband.

A few more questions:

- how much equity in your property?

- where is your husband living now - still with you?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is approx 160000 equity my husband s still here at the moment

is your husband still acting abusively towards you? If so - when was the last incident? have you ever reported anything to the police?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
last night, smashed the tv, table, ornaments etc I haven't reported them as he is serving a suspended sentence

what is the suspended sentence for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
an offence in ireland - abh and gbh

are you in Ireland or England/Wales?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
england/wales

I do advise that you contact the police and report his behaviour.

I know that your original question relates to divorce and assets but I am also concerned with your safety and well being.

The police may want to investigate matters or charge your husband. The police could put conditions in place to prevent your husband returning to the house whilst they investigate.

If after reporting matters to the police - action isn't taken to prevent your husband returning - then given what you have said about your husband being very violent coupled with the facts that he is currently serving a suspended sentence for violent crimes and him being violent as recent as last night - you need to contact a family lawyer so that the can consider with you an urgent application to a family court for a non molestation order to prevent your husband threatening or harming. An occupation order can also be applied for to prevent your husband returning to the matrimonial home whilst the divorce and finances are resolved to give you welcome breathing space.

I suggest that you do all this today. You do not need to suffer alone. There is lots of help available and you can get legal aid for these types of applications although you may have to pay a contribution depending on your income.

I also suggest that you contact a domestic violence service such a refuge. The support that they offer is great and can rnage from a chat to cooking classes with other ladies etc

http://www.refuge.org.uk/

In respect of your house - I am sorry to say that he is going to be able to make a claim in respect of the matrimonial finances should you divorce. Given that the marriage is less than 5 years and also that it was a substantial premarital asset and you now have limited means - you need to argue that his share will be limited but he will have a share.

If you deal with your safety first - this will give you the breathing space to resolve the finances in time.

let me know if I can hep you further

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you

let me know if I can help you further x