Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Is it true that if you divorce someone who is suffering from

Customer Question

Is it true that if you divorce someone who is suffering from mental health issues, the financial settlement they are entitled to is way above a normal settlement? Regardless of their ability to work or earning capacity or assets/investments?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if the issue is in relation to a matter in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. There is a list of criteria that a court considers when deciding on a financial settlement as part of a divorce, and one issue would be the needs of the parties. If one party has higher needs (for example due to mental health issues) then a court can be persuaded that there should be a departure from equality in order for needs to be met.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.