13262538

A friend has come to my house in a bad state after a

A friend has come to my house in a bad state after a disagreement with her husband who demanded she leave their home. Her son has now called to say her husband is changing the locks on their jointly owned house. What can/should she do - presumably tomorrow as it is 8pm now.
Jill
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long have they lived together and how old are the children

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They have been married 26 years but have lived together for 33 years in total. Their children are adults aged 22 and 21.
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Do they actually own it jointly and has he been violent

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
they own it jointly and, no, he has not been violent, but aggressive enough to make her leave the house. All we need to know at this stage is whether she should seek immediate legal advice tomorrow?
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

She is entitled to return to the property whenever she wishes - breaking in if necessary

Her next steps depend on what she wishes to do.

She can apply to the Court for an Order allowing her to return to the property and forcing her ex to leave.

She can simply return to the property and tell her ex that if he threatens her again she will call the police (and do it if he does)

Or she can start divorce proceedings based on his Unreasonable Behaviour and apply for a sale of the property within the financial side of the divorce

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details