Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

As a grandmother do I have the right to access to my

As a grandmother do I have the right to access to my grandchildren? My son and daughter in law are separated, and have a very acrimonious relationship. I still want to be able to see my 3 grandchildren but my daughter in law (with whom they live) is being obstructive
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you did your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you and the children in England or Wales?

-How old are the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we live in England. The children are aged 7,5 and 4 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children and I love spending time together, will be such a shame to lose this
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Unfortunately grandparents have no automatic rights to see their grandchildren. If arrangements cannot be agreed between you directly then I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court initially for permission to pursue an application(as you do not have parental responsibility) and if permission is grantedto continue for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Firstly, unfortunately grandparents do not have any automatic rights to contact with their grandchildren but the children do have a right to a relationship with their family. In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you and your daughter in law in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for permission to apply (as you do not have parental responsibility) and if permission is granted to continue with an application for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.