How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner has been separated over 3 years leaving his wife

Resolved Question:

My partner has been separated over 3 years leaving his wife in the marital home. He had taken on a huge loan due to her gambling which he is still paying off.
I am considering buying a property in my own name before we marry. I say he has to sort out this debt as part of his divorce or I become liable should he be unable to pay, is this correct? (He thinks he can keep our marriage secret from the loan company)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Given that his debt was accrued in his previous marriage it would be considered a debt of that marriage. However, prior to marrying you he should reach a financial settlement with his wife that is approved by the court as if he marries you he loses his right to seek financial relief from his current wife.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you