Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner has been separated over 3 years leaving his wife

My partner has been separated over 3 years leaving his wife in the marital home. He had taken on a huge loan due to her gambling which he is still paying off.
I am considering buying a property in my own name before we marry. I say he has to sort out this debt as part of his divorce or I become liable should he be unable to pay, is this correct? (He thinks he can keep our marriage secret from the loan company)
Cathy
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Given that his debt was accrued in his previous marriage it would be considered a debt of that marriage. However, prior to marrying you he should reach a financial settlement with his wife that is approved by the court as if he marries you he loses his right to seek financial relief from his current wife.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.