13262538

My mother in law simply cannot keep things she has been told

My mother in law simply cannot keep things she has been told in confidence to herself, and gossips about them to other members of the family, usually with (incorrect) embellishments and her own fanciful speculations added.My husband feels that she does need to know some of the things he tells her, but even though he asks her not to tell anyone else, she cannot help herself, and I have found that some of my most private matters are now general knowledge in the rest of the family (eg my health problems and full details of my husband and my relationship issues). It is sometimes embarrassing to find out for instance that the rest of the in laws know every detail about my husbands affair, and as a result are trying to "help" which is putting more strain on our relationship.Can I get some sort of order restraining her from discussing issues which affect me with anyone else, with some sort of legal repercussions if she does spread gossip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also doesn't help that she dislikes me intensely, and a lot of the gossip she spreads is untrue, or to my detriment.As a result my relationship with my husbands brothers and their families are now very strained to non existent - mostly down to her spreading untrue or highly embellished stories about me.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you but I am afraid the news is not good.

This is not an issues where the heavy handed nature of the legal system can help you.

There are no Orders that can stop family gossip and unpleasantness.

It is for your husband to ensure that he does not discuss your personal business with his mother - so that she has no ammunition for her gossip

I am sorry that there is no better news for you - but this is not the kind of matter that the law can really help with and it is important that we are honest with you

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have any grounds to sue her for slander/ libel?Some of the things she has said are extremely hurtful as well as being totally untrue.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Such actions cost many thousands of pounds - and are public matters.

True or false publicly airing gossip is never beneficial - and will not improve the position at all i am afraid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your honesty.I will go and tell her to shut up
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That may well be the best way forward!