Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am divorced and retired and pay child maintenance from my

I am divorced and retired and pay child maintenance from my pension of £95 a week which I have no problem with.
We have sold our house and I have a share of the equity agreed in a Financial Order.
I am in the process of buying a house worth £216,000. It will be my only property. Up to now I have lived with friends and camped.
I have recently met someone and will cohabit with her in the near future.
If I rent out my house (c. £800/month) will my ex-wife be able to ask for a variation on the CSA calculated maintenance, even though it is the only property I have? Would she be successful.
If it helps, my ex-wife is younger than me with an income, after tax, of about £5,000/month.
I have two children aged 8 and 10.
Send Anothe
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question.

In relation to child maintenance this is based on your gross taxable income and therefore it will be from all sources of income. Whether the £800 per month you receive as rental income is the full taxable income or not will depend on how you are dealing with your rental income and if there are any deductions allowed before you are taxed.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.