Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am being divorced by my wife for my behaviour, and she

Customer Question

Hello, I am being divorced by my wife for my behaviour, and she can't be expected to live with her. I have a restraining order against me as well.
My question is....what is a valid reason for not paying costs? Also, if a Financial Order is granted?
Regards, *****
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Usually the main defence for not paying divorce application costs if it is pursued is if you are unable to afford to do this.

In relation to a financial order, this will be more complicated - please confirm if you are referring to paying her legal costs or paying any financial order regarding maintenance or assets?

In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not legal costs but there is a list of things that 'may' be granted. Maintenance (no children involved, we are both retired), a periodical payments order, a secured provision order, a lump sum order,
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - as part of the divorce you are both entitled to seek financial relief from each other. To further assist you with this please confirm:
-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am 66 and she is 73, we have been married 25 years, no children. No assets, but she gets pension credit, other than that I don't know. My income is about £1500 per month
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Is the property you live in owned or rented? If owned, what is the value and any outstanding mortgage and in whose name is it? If rented, whose name is ***** ***** tenancy and what type of tenancy is it?