Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Just an enquiry, I've stopped my ex partner seeing our 7

Hi there, just an enquiry, I've stopped my ex partner seeing our 7 month daughter, we we together nearly 4 years there was a lot of alcohol and drug use on his part and lots of arguements, we split 7 weeks ago after I had him arrested for violence, he has a restraining order but access to our daughter is through his mum and brother, iv I've stopped it due to the fact that he couldn't cope with her crying when we were together, is still out drinking all the time and still using drugs, am I right in doing so??
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Your daughter has a right to a relationship with her father and this can only be reasonably restricted if there are child protection concerns or if he is unable to provide adequate care for her. You state that there are drug and alcohol issues and this will be a significant child protection concern, especially given your daughter's young age. It would therefore be reasonable for you to restrict contact until such time as he can demonstrate that there is no longer drug or alcohol concerns. In the circumstances, if he continues to insist on seeing her you can suggest that it takes place in a supervised contact centre - thereby he continues his relationship but there is an independent person to supervise and intervene if there are any concerns.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.