13262538

My mother is in a care home and I continue to live in the

My mother is in a care home and I continue to live in the family home, and have done all my life. I am 56. At present we are using mum's savings to pay for care, but the time may come when that money runs out. What happens if the house needs to be sold and what is my position. Will I have any rights to stay in the house, or must I find alternative accommodation.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need seem further information first

How soon is this likely to be an issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
possibly one year from now, depending on my mother;s health needs etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that as I am not 60 I may have to move out of the house, how true this is I don't know. But it is worrying all the same
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that it is correct.

Since you are under 60 the Local Authority can count the property as part of the assets available to your mother for the payment of her Care Home fees.

They will then be able to say that they will only finance her if the property is placed on the market.

I am sorry - I appreciate that this is grim news but it may give you time to find a way around the issue that will last until you are 60.

Please ask if you need further details