How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34283
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If a married couple decide to separate with a view to

Resolved Question:

If a married couple decide to separate with a view to getting divorced after two years, is any arrangement that they make at this time prejudice the case for settlement after divorce
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Do you mean will any agreement be valid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter and son-in-law are splitting up. They have agreed that she can stay in the house and she will pay the bills. Clearly there are a lot of loose ends and I am wondering that when they finally do get a divorce whether this 'loose arrangement' could prevent her from getting a better settlement at that time.
Their understanding is that after a two year period of separation a divorce will be granted automatically
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The arrangements made at this time do not mean that there cannot be a further claim within the eventual divorce proceedings.

Only where there is a formal Separation Agreement setting out the financial arrangements could that be a risk - and even then it would not necessarily be binding. if the ocurt di s not beleive that it was fair.

I am happy to speak with you - but the site does charge more for a telephone call.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you