Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I need to get a Special Guardianship Order for my

I need to get a Special Guardianship Order for my granddaughter and I do not have a clue how to go about this..
Please help
Expert:  Harris replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please can you provide a short summary of the issues and how your granddaughter came to be in your care, as well as if there are any proceedings in place now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI, Many thanks for replying to my question. My daughter has been binge drinking to excess and also taking cocaine and having unsavoury people at the flat at nights while my granddaughter is asleep. I took my granddaughter who is just over 2 years old, away as she was being neglected. Bromley social services are involved and have advised me to get the special guardianship order as it seems my daughter is not doing anything to help herself.
Expert:  Harris replied 5 months ago.

Have Bromley issued care proceedings or has the mother agree voluntarily agreed under Section 20 for the placement with you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok Bromley were going to have a meeting regarding a care plan for Elsie if she was going home and putting her on the at risk register. the Father cannot be bothered with it all and told the social worker this, and said for my granddaughter to look him up when she's 18...I think the mother has agreed so far for me to have her but not sure what the social workers are doing to be honest. The social worker agrees that the baby should stay with me and told me to get this guardianship.
Expert:  Harris replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. To pursue a special guardianship application you can do this using form C1 and FM1 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court. However, you should not do this immediately given that you are to have a care plan meeting for your granddaughter. As the local authority are supporting this application you could seek for them to assist with funding if you are unable to secure legal aid.

As there are child abuse/protection concerns your means will need to be assessed (both income and capital) to see if you qualify for legal aid to pursue this. In the event that you are not eligible or cannot afford it the local authority should look into assisting you financially.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is not a care plan in place as they are cancelling the meeting so it looks like it's up to me to pay for this.
Expert:  Harris replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the update - in the circumstances I would suggest that you approach a local solicitor who can specialise in family legal aid. You can find local providers here: solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk or you can ask the social worker for a list of solicitors in your area who can assess your eligibility for legal aid, and if you are eligible can pursue an application to court for you.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters