Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife and I may be getting divorced. I assume even though

Customer Question

Hi, my wife and I may be getting divorced. I assume even though I have paid mortgage always, that the split will be 50/50 and she will also be entitled to 50% of my pension. I am 53 can she put force me to take it at 55 so she can get her half ? Also my parents have signed over there house to myself and 2 siblings in attempt to avoid possible care costs in the future, would she have any rights to my 3rd when I eventually inherit it ?. I have 2 children but they are adults so they do enter any calculations.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-How old is she?
-How long have you been married?
-What are the values of all assets and pensions you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 49, been married 19 years. My pension 100k hers around 10k , they are separate schemes. We have nothing in joint names. House worth around 210k with a 95k mortgage remaining.
I earn around 60k including a 7k pension I took at 50, and a 2nd job. Wife earns around 12k.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the confirmation. As stated in the other post you made, she will have no rights to claim against assets which are not yours and inheritance is not an automatic matrimonial asset.

In relation to making you take your pension at 55 - there are various pension options and one would be for her to share your pension in whatever share is agreed or ordered and this portion will be transferred to her (either to a current pension or for her to set up a new one).

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.,

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.