13262538

I was married in France in 1989. I was divorced in France

Customer Question

I am British. I was married in France in 1989. I was divorced in France this year. I have the original French paperwork.
My French lawyer now tells me that in order for the divorce to be legally binding in the UK I need a certificate according to a EU directive of 2003. He has offered to obtain this for me but he costs are very high. Do I need this and if so can I get it for a reasonable cost?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to wait for a while
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

In fact this is not essential at all.

The U.K. Is happy to accept the French decree - you would only need the Certificate if you need to enforce a financial issue arising from the divorce in the UK

Please ask if you need further details