How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34278
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was married in France in 1989. I was divorced in France

Customer Question

I am British. I was married in France in 1989. I was divorced in France this year. I have the original French paperwork.
My French lawyer now tells me that in order for the divorce to be legally binding in the UK I need a certificate according to a EU directive of 2003. He has offered to obtain this for me but he costs are very high. Do I need this and if so can I get it for a reasonable cost?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to wait for a while
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

In fact this is not essential at all.

The U.K. Is happy to accept the French decree - you would only need the Certificate if you need to enforce a financial issue arising from the divorce in the UK

Please ask if you need further details