Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son has been a father to his no biological son for 2 1/2

My son has been a father to his no biological son for 2 1/2 years since he was 6 months old. Unmarried to the boy's mother. My
Son and Childs mother has split and my son desperately wants contact with his son. Is it possible to get access rights through a court. My son has financially kept his son for 2 1/2 years
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Just to clarify is your son the biological father of the child or not?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No he isn't, no father is named on the birth certificate and there is no biological father involved in the child's life
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. As he is not the biological father he has no parental responsibility or automatic rights regarding the child. However, given that he has been involved in the child's life for two and a half years, he would be entitled to apply to court for an order and it will be for the court to decide whether this is in the child's best interests or not. As he does not have parental responsibility he would need to first apply for permission to proceed with an application for a child arrangement order, and thereafter if granted for the application to be dealt with by the court - these can be done using a form C100 and a £215 court fee and supporting application regarding the background of the matter.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court as outlined above.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your answer
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thank you - I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris